Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Flow

For a long time despite how much Noticing helped me in my activities, I often had the feeling that it was slowing me down. It seemed like an extra thing I had to take care of before I could get going with whatever I was trying to do. Then one day, as I was finishing up washing the dishes, I went to throw something in the garbage and an interesting thing happened: the two activities merged into a flow across time. What I mean is, because I was Noticing while doing the dishes, when the thought to throw something into the garbage occurred to me, it happened within the "envelope" of my Noticing. The two activities were not separate things each requiring its own distinct preparation. I didn't have to stop washing and then start throwing. The washing became the perfect easy preparation for the throwing because I was Noticing. Putting it into words it sounds a bit silly but the experience was very pleasant, simple and calm; there was the washing and then there was the throwing out occurring as a single easy flow with me as the common ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home